Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Away on Weekends

Of my close to three months stay in Seoul, more than half of the weekends were spent sleeping over at a friend's house. Perhaps, it is because I've gotten used to having someone to talk to every day, I've gotten used to having a flatmate, someone to harangue and talk to after work. So now, instead of staying at home and be in danger of tuning in to drama mode again, I go out and stay with friends. I try to fill my weekends with activities.

Last weekend, Korea celebrated Chuseok, the annual harvest thanksgiving festival. That meant three days of rest, from Saturday to Monday. But of course, me being me, it turned out to be my busiest weekend by far.

Saturday saw me waking up at 7 am, travelling an hour to a friend's house to deposit my stuff (christening gift, clothes for sleeping over), had some breakfast and then zipped off to Seoulland, a theme park/nature park on the outskirts of Seoul, to meet up with other church members for our Chuseok fun activity. Which is to tour the park and have fun! At 1 pm though, I bid good bye to them as I needed to go to a small party that an officemate and his wife are throwing. I promised that I'd come early to help out in the cooking, but I arrived an hour late haha. So I just ate lunch and then when the guests started arriving, I played assistant host haha. You think by this time I'd be all tired, but no, I went back to my friend's house at about seven in the evening, and then went for an hour of biking along the river. After that, we chatted until 1 am.

The next morning, I had to wake up early to attend the seminar for ninongs and ninangs prior to the Christening. After the christening we trudged back to Pyeongchon for the reception and some chitchat. Had a blast listening to a new acquaintance's woes in his marriage. Granted, that maybe the alcohol made him a bit loose in revealing stuff but he was funny and really honest. At 9 PM, went to my friend's room and had a magic sing marathon till midnight.

The last day of Chuseok, we woke up at 7:00 AM and went biking along the river until 1 PM, went back to a friend's house, had lunch, napped a bit and then it was time to go home to my cold, dejected flat.

I arrived at my flat at 5 PM, ate a sandwich and fell asleep so fast I had no time to ym my best friend that I am too tired for dinner.

So yes, weekends, are important to me. More so now that I am single and free to spend it any which way I want, with anybody. :)