Summer has flitted pass my part of the world a month too early. The streets are now slick with a tinge of melancholy. The sun, well, it went hiding all day and soon, soon everything green will wither and drop.
Every little exposed earth in my part of the woods is wet. And nothing is as good an excuse for laziness as a rainy Saturday.
I woke up to Anthony Robbins talking about the power of concentration on my i-tunes. But even Mr. Robbins motivational shtick could not arouse an ounce of will for me to get up. Instead, I turned my back, and took to the comfort of my warm, soft blanket and the lullaby of rain for another hour of sleep.
We all need a day of slacking off. Time to be as lazy or indulgent as we want to be. So today when I finally parted with my bed, I set off to make a lovely lunch for one: Rolled out some of the dough I made last night, made palm-sized dough circles, filled them with my shiu mai filling and fried out a batch of my made –from-scratch dumplings. I was planning to steam them out but I figured, fried is yummier. Because I was feeling indulgent, I took out one of the two big prawns I got on sale from the supermarket, split it in half, rubbed pepper, salt and some five spice powder, filled the middle with some mozza cheese and broiled it in the oven. And to really push the envelope, I cooked myself some rice! Which in itself is a minor upheaval because I have not eaten rice in close to two months. Rice and prawns and shiu mai on a lazy Saturday, and what do you know, I was craving something sweet so I went down to the convenience store at the basement of my building for some Patbingsu or Korean Shaved Ice, which is pretty similar to Pinoy Halo-Halo except it’s really just red beans, some yummy
rice nubbins, and sweet milk.
Because all the chores are done except the ironing, I got the whole day to myself. No Pilates, no running, no fitness thing. Just for a day, I shall be a couch potato. Eating chips and peanut butter crackers. And when after finishing a pack, I was still craving for something salty, I took to frying a batch of my from-scratch wonton wrappers, seasoning them with salt, garlic powder and pepper and dipping them in dill mayonnaise.
Alas the hours came and went. Three movies (Pineapple Express, Tampopo, The Princess and The Frog) and a few chapters of Colm Tolbin’s The Master and it’s evening. And there goes my little foray into lethargy. How sometimes a little bit of laziness can clear away the ennui and give way to a sense of lucidity. I can’t wait for tomorrow to begin. My mind now starting to turn into gears again, with plans and small ideas. Lazy Saturdays, sometimes we do need days like these. ☺

