Oh this life. I used to be the type of person who plans everything ever so cautiously. I fear failure more than the average person, it used to paralyze me into
inaction. I was willing to take boring just so I can avoid the chance to fail. And well, I pretty much survived and lived my life that way up until a couple of years ago.
Funny though, because yes, someone up there really knows how to shake your existence, your plans, your life path so you'll be forced to deal with the things you kept running away from. I used to be one who will go with conventions, to silence my seemingly crazy ideas and whims just so I can lead a normal, happy life. You know happy in the conventional way, but then things got screwed up and found myself suddenly without the security blanket.
And it has made all the difference. I think the past year taught me so much about bravery and freeing myself (you know, that little voice that we keep shhhhhshhh-ing because it keeps saying and suggesting things that we don't want to consider). Freedom is a half-filled cup, yeah? You can look at it and be sad or take it by its head and fly with it. How closing one possibility opens a hundred other probable endings?
It's a funny thing, these downturns and left turns, just when you thought you've fallen off too deep, you feel something and realize there's ground on your feet, something to cushion your fall.
Early this year, the four of us (our clique of college friends) checked in on some horoscope of sorts for fun, just to check what the year supposedly holds for us. Mine had something about reinvention. While it is a bit of an overstatement, I so feel there is some truth there. I left my career comfort zone to try something new and exciting. And though I might one of these day go back to the day job, I think a new side of me, the one who loves to please clients and is infatuated by the business of building enterprises, is something I will forever nurture.
Downturns and Left turns? It's just life throwing you a dice into the right direction.

