Our country is a map of beaches. We are a people spoiled by our choice of beaches. A beach is not just a beach anymore. Some look for a wild, party kind of beach experience, others look forward to a pampered,c hi-chi beach experience with massage and all, Others want the crowds. Some look for solitude or at least a sense of seclusion. We went to a beach last weekend that fits the kind of beach I am on the look out for---peaceful, a bit secluded and very, very homey.
A small group of friends went to the Ronco Beach Resort in Calatagan last weekend. Though we spent only a night and the early morning there, I was captivated by how it feels so serene, so natural to be there. It was secluded, a bit far from the rest of the resorts, and going there you pass through dirt roads and walls and walls of thick greeneries. We arrived in silence and discovered a quaint place with a homey feel. It’s almost as if you are given keys to a friend’s vacation house. The place was secluded, the wind a gentle whisp, the waters comforting. Utterly picture perfect.
A few of the group, the DSLR enthusiasts, spent the time taking snapshots while a few of us sat by boardwalk watching the shimmery water, chatting about life and lessons, savouring the peace, the salty sweet breeze from the sea.
Because our host was a friend of the resort owner, we were able to meet and spent some time chatting with Mr. D, the owner, and his other Calatagan friends. It was quite nice listening to a flow of topics: their passion in promoting Calatagan as a tourist destination, their town’s heritage and their efforts to conserve this, insider’s tales about the town itself, politics, and the owner’s undeniable love for his uber cute grand daughter. We were surprised how they asked us to join their group so warmly, and it was a nice feeling to know that Ronco, more than being a beautiful beach spot, is a welcoming place.
We had the good luck to be there just when the fishermen at Ronco were unloading the day’s catch from their fishing boats. So off we went to watch them as they remove every single fish from their nets. It was a beautiful scene, watching how feet by feet the fishing nets are unfolded , the fishes picked out from the net and thrown into a large fish vat with light coming from kerosene lamps. It’s one of those scenes we’ve seen in old movies, this tradition of catching and sorting fish, and to see it in person carries some sort of allure, a bit of joy , and a perfect opportunity to the DSLR guys to capture in still life.
All I want in a beach resort is a quiet, beautiful place with a welcoming air where I can let my mind wander and rest, and well, I pretty much got what I wanted. Though I could imagine that if I had enough time I would have spent it walking through the beach, exploring its length up until the rocky tip to the north, perhaps spend a day lazing about in one of those lounge chairs reading one of my long neglected books. Apparently, there are also island hopping tours and snorkeling, diving trips offered, but maybe I’ll get to do that next time. That short soothing visit to the beach was good enough for a first sojourn.

