If you ask me, it is about fulfilling a yearning to be transformed, to be taken out of one’s comfortably boxed existence. An escape, sometimes, an adventure. A chance to step back and find something of us that’s usually repressed by the predictability of our daily grind. It is also about renewing the child in us. Our wide-eyed amazement, our fascination for beauty, the bursts of adrenaline and wonder. It is as much a journey to one’s self as it is an exploration of places, cultures and the fleetingly amazing bond formed between kindred travelers.
Sometimes it is more about rediscovery than mileage or distance. As when you find yourself appreciating how the sun sets near your side of the bay, regaining an appreciation of beauty in your city that you have never considered before. It is as much about exploring the little streets in Chinatown for an adventure in food as it is about finally taking up the challenge of facing your fears and trying out things that makes you queasy, like spelunking in caves with icy cold water or when you finally find the guts to travel alone.
Others attain emotional highs from shopping, working out or from working long hours. And while yes, shopping, working out and sometimes working hard bring a certain buzz, I found that I am least stressed, most carefree and relaxed when I am somewhere exploring. Travelling is an indulgence, it is something I permit myself to do because it helps me regain my balance. Like a drug that satisfies my nomadic delusions, bringing in a feeling of being changed, of finding some perspective out of a temporary visitation.
It is as much about the exploration of terrains and seas, of watching light scattering through the air, of savoring the sights as it is about forging bonds with people. Of relearning humility, kindness and the small good things such as camaraderie and determination that one instills in a child. I discovered that most often than not, it is this interaction with people, this passing of essence from us to another soul that transforms a vacation into something meaningful and unforgettable. Thus the importance of finding a companion that complements your own travel goals.
Sometimes it is more about rediscovery than mileage or distance. As when you find yourself appreciating how the sun sets near your side of the bay, regaining an appreciation of beauty in your city that you have never considered before. It is as much about exploring the little streets in Chinatown for an adventure in food as it is about finally taking up the challenge of facing your fears and trying out things that makes you queasy, like spelunking in caves with icy cold water or when you finally find the guts to travel alone.
Others attain emotional highs from shopping, working out or from working long hours. And while yes, shopping, working out and sometimes working hard bring a certain buzz, I found that I am least stressed, most carefree and relaxed when I am somewhere exploring. Travelling is an indulgence, it is something I permit myself to do because it helps me regain my balance. Like a drug that satisfies my nomadic delusions, bringing in a feeling of being changed, of finding some perspective out of a temporary visitation.
It is as much about the exploration of terrains and seas, of watching light scattering through the air, of savoring the sights as it is about forging bonds with people. Of relearning humility, kindness and the small good things such as camaraderie and determination that one instills in a child. I discovered that most often than not, it is this interaction with people, this passing of essence from us to another soul that transforms a vacation into something meaningful and unforgettable. Thus the importance of finding a companion that complements your own travel goals.

