Saturday, August 7, 2010

PROUD

There was a time in my life when I was annoyed by her being sickly sweet and submissive to people. I was always, to my mind, more like my father: Headstrong with my goals and beliefs. Not the kind who would yield to people, at least on the things that truly matter to me.

So for most of my adult years we would often argue about stuffs, mostly about the management of the modest farm and home left to her by my grandparents. She was, to my and my father’s opinion, too docile and too trusting to the relatives she has chosen to give the chance to well, earn a living and take care of the properties for her. When times get tough, I was always the one who’d go home up North to deal with the abusive relatives. In that I am able to be scathing and frank with even an older relation if I know I am right, it’s a trait that is always thought to have come from my father’s side.

A few years ago, while I was in London, her kidneys failed. And for a bit of time, we were all worried that she’d need something drastic to survive. Thankfully it was not chronic kidney failure, and with the close monitoring of her nephrologist (who happens to be her niece and a specialist at NKI) , my mother got well after a few months of dialysis.

She got well, but she also had to quit her work as a nurse. We all felt it was taxing her too much and made the decision as a family. And so for nearly three years now, she’s stayed at home. My father and I used to joke secretly that my mother is now a true-blue pensionada, who awaits for her monthly allowance from us. It’s a bit of an irony really, because when me and my brother were growing up, she was always working, and now that we’re grown up she’s finally home all the time.

I always had this secret fear, a deep concern for what she’d do for the rest of her life. She showed no concern with the farm, which is why I asked her to transfer the job to me. And so I wondered, surely there must be something else to do aside from staying home all the time?

But God surely works in amazingly unforeseen ways. And my mother is a testament to that. I started a small online business two years ago selling stuffs from the country where I am currently based. Though she was the one who shipped the stuffs to our clients, I still did most of the work, dealing with clients through emails, and when I was in Pinas, meeting with them and answering queries. Because I was also busy planning for another business in Davao, I hired a cousin to assist the online shop business, mainly because I needed someone who had at least a basic skill set with computers and the internet. Well, she wasn’t entirely focused and was really more concerned about her allowance than the task of sustaining the business, and so when the cousin asked to take leave and go back to the province, my father said, Let her go.

Which is how it started. This transformation. If you talk to her now, you’d be surprised how two weeks of intense computer and internet tutorials can do to someone who for so long held a fear of computers:

Mom: Anak nakabenta ako today. Mamaya meet ko yung isang client sa Mall.
Mom: Anak, nakuha ko yung commission ko sa townhouse unit na nirefer ko kay Mareng Mads.
Mom(while we were voice chatting at night): Anak wait lang sagutin ko lang itong client. (Then after a few minutes, she interrupts me again to answer another query).
Mom: Anak, nagyayaya si Mare mamasyal sa Greenhills bukas pero sabi ko time for my friends tomorrow. Magchat kami.

So now, she answers emails, uploads new products in our site, meets with clients, texts them when there are new stocks. And now, we can talk until the wee hours during weekends (and sometimes even on weeknights) thanks to the power of the internet and YM/Skype. I can’t help but be proud. I would have never thought that it was at all possible, but here she is, my dear mother is now a true-blue computer person and a citizen of the world wide web. Because I’ve been busy at work, she now manages the online business all by herself -- dealing with clients. I realize now that finally my mother’s gifts--that caring aura, the kind when you immediately know that she’s a good person and will take care of your needs, how it is a perfect fit with the business. All she really needed was some computer skills and a way to channel her charms. Now she’s the one excited about the small business we are planning up North. She sometimes talks to me about the logistics (who would man the business, what to offer) and I sometimes kid her how she’s turning into a Senior Entrepreneur! And she’d answer back that we have to thank Him for all the blessings we’ve been given.

But if there is one thing I am most amazed with, the one thing I wish I can get from my mother, it is her faith. She is she is thankful with the littlest blessings she receives, and steadfast when inconveniences arise. Which is why I guess she is anything but calm even when I am already red as hell mad.

People like me, in their early thirties often wonder if the best times of our lives have already passed us by. If we’ve missed that one big chance. But again and again, life throws us exemplars of the fact that as long as we want to rise up to the challenge, we will always have chances to grow and transform our lives.

People who know me would know how vocal I am of my admiration for my father. I could blab about his strengths, his amazing work ethics, his being such a coolconfidante in a heartbeat.

But I am as proud to be my mother’s daughter. Then and more so, now.