The Fifth Element
A friend sent me a beautiful powerpoint presentation about the four elements in life. At the end of the presentation, there was this note: I wish you always air to breath, fire to warm you, water to drink, and the earth to live in.
In his email the friend wrote something about wishing us most especially, the fifth element. Makes me wonder though, what is the fifth element, the one thing that we need, like the four others to live?
Is it love of the romantic kind? Or is it the meaningful relationships—friendship and family , that we so easily give up in our search for a love which we think will complete us?
----------------
Life and Death
I am out of the twilight zone. Funny, how three days ago I was half scared about what might go wrong in the operating room. The doctors were worried that my blood pressure might spike up while I was under the knife. I was also worried that the surgeon might inadvertently damage an optic nerve . I was worried about being less than who I was, I was scared of being compromised, losing a few of my facilities, but the weird thing is that I was not worried about dying. I knew that it was a possibility, because being under general anesthesia carries the risk, no matter how small, but I wasn’t scared of death. If I had died my family would have felt the loss, cry and be sad but eventually they’ll move on, I know that they’ll find a way to cope. It’s only the thing I’m most passionate about now that I’ll regret leaving if I had died. The business, more than giving me the chance to do things I’ve never thought I’d be pursuing, have led me to meet good friends and wonderful business partners. And if I’ve gone then I’d have left without seeing how our little venture could still grow. And how we could have still evolved as business people.
But I’m alive and well at home recuperating so enough of the drama. It’s back to the grind again, coping with the tasks I’ve missed in the three nights that I was out of the loop. Three days, and the few bones and little pesky masses that have caused me many sleepless and aching nights are hopefully gone. It’s a new life, a better life. A life without headaches and difficult breathing. And like everything, getting here meant risking something, like death and damage.
-----------------
Team Building
You start with going out and having good fun, enjoy the things you love and being true to yourselves. You build a team by revealing yourselves, putting down masks, laying down what you can and can’t do. You learn to listen and to share. You learn that being honest means saying not only the truth but also that which is relevant and helpful. You learn that it doesn’t take much money and effort or ambiance to enjoy. That yes the simple things in life are more fun. It’s fun to challenge yourself to get the most fun out of a team budget. And true, it’s the people that counts. And you learn that building a team is more about a common hope, and faith in one another, of setting down goals and buckling down to learn and move forward. And that if you get the right team, even the little boring bits become bearable, and you just trudge ahead because you’re confident, and go about without hesitation, setting down to do what you gotta do.
--------------------
What Dreams May Tell
I’ve been dreaming of someone from my past the past couple of nights. Weird because usually I don’t even remember my dreams but the past nights going into the surgery and last night, my first night at home after the operation, he’s in my dreams again! I don’t really believe that it’s the subconscious saying some secret wish or something because well I kinda eased him out of my life, and considering the situation, I expect that he’s also having a good time with his own path so hmmm, why the dreams? Perhaps it’s just the mind’s way of blowing off smoke hahaha.
I don’t know what dreams may tell. But the past surely tells me the lessons I should have learned by now.

