Sunday, September 29, 2013

Delirium on a Sick Day

I've been sick since Friday. My body aches all the time, I try not to eat food because it only makes me run to the bathroom. And so my weekend is nearly gone, and I have done nothing but lie down and sleep off this flu.

I did one thing though, just because I didn't want to dissapoint a good friend. This Sunday was my god-daughter's first birthday, and I have promised her mother that I will make Pansit for the party. So early today, despite my headache and bodyache, I dragged my body out to buy Sotanghon noodles for the pansit, and cooked a big batch. And because my mind was foggy and I was being stupid, the pan where I was frying the pork was too hooot and the oil violently splattered and hit me at two spots in the face. Aaaargh! So now, in addition to my flu, I have two dark welts on my face- one on my forehead, and another near my left brow. Awts, I just hope they won't scar. Thank God I still had my vitamin C cream at hand to help aid in the healing.


-----

So I was browsing through poets.org looking for some inspiring poems to brighten my sick days and saw that Carolyn Forche has been named the 2013 American Academy of Poetry Fellow. And though she doesn't know me from Eve, I remembered discovering her poems a decade ago during my obsession with poetry.

And so now I am burning the night reading poetry, hoping I can get it back, that fervor, that lust for words.