I live for days like these. Waking up at 5 AM just as the skies begin to uncloak, light beginning to drift into the horizon. I suit up into almost tattered shorts, a shirt, into my four year old trusty, hand-me-down Pumas and get myself out of the house to the streets, to silence, to the cold, innocent young air in Davao.
I walk through the main roads of the village, passing through faces that has now become familiar. We nod at each other, smile our good mornings but we leave each other alone. I jog and walk to my own musings in automatic, my feet knowing fully well the path and pace to take. And so my mind becomes a wanderer, touching on daydreams, lingering on recent happy memories, weighing my options in life and career, planning the day’s or week’s activities or sometimes, when I get lucky, settling into a contented and thankful place as I gaze up at the houses I pass, their grandness, watching people coming out of gates, moving forward towards the day.

